03/04/20: Automatic Data Processing (“ADP”) announced today that U.S. private-sector employers hired 183,000 people, on a seasonally-adjusted basis, during February after hiring 209,000 of employees during January. Non-Manufacturing Activity Rose during February to...read more
Daily Market Briefing
Stock Prices to Likely be Very Volatile on Monday, March 2
March 2, 2020: (3:30 am U.S. Eastern Time): Early morning trading in U.S. futures markets indicates that global stock prices will rally sharply on Monday, March 2. However, our experience suggests that stock prices, in general, will be very volatile throughout the first trading day of March. Looking farther out, the readings on numerous economic indicators from around the globe suggest that stock prices in most regions of the world will trend considerably higher than their recent levels during the second half of 2020. Therefore, we're advising persons who subscribe to our financial market research and advisory journals to increase their allocations to equity securities.
February 25 to March 2, 2020
- U.S. pending home sales rose during January at fastest monthly pace since October 2010.
- Orders for durable goods produced at U.S. factories declined modestly during January.
- U.S. new home sales rose during January to highest level since July 2007.
- Americans' economic sentiment improved for fourth consecutive month during February.
- China's manufacturing activity declined sharply during February, according to surveys conducted by IHS Markit.
- Japan's and the Eurozone's manufacturing activity also declined during February, according to surveys conducted by IHS Markit.
- Japan's index of leading economic indicators rose during December, the latest month for which data are available, for first time since August 2018.
U.S. Economic Developments
U.S. Political Developments
01/15/20: President Trump and China’s Vice Premier Liu signed today phase one of a new trade agreement between the United States and China. As part of the agreement, China agreed to increase its imports from the United States to approximately $200 billion annually,...read more
02/28/20: Foot Locker (FL) reported that its net income declined by 10.8% on a 2.2% decrease in the company’s revenues, a 1% decrease in its cost of goods sold and a 13.9% decrease in its operating and financing expenses for the three months ended December 31, 2019,...read more
International Economic Developments
02/25/20: Japan’s Cabinet Office announced today that its index of leading economic indicators for Japan rose during December, the latest month for which data are available, for the first time since August 2018, suggesting that the country’s output of goods and...read more
International Geopolitical Developments
02/26/20: The World Health Organization (“WHO”) reported today that approximately 81,109 people worldwide have now been infected with the coronavirus and that approximately 2,760 people worldwide have died from the disease, with 98% of those deaths occurring in China....read more
Company and Stock News
- Dell Technologies (DELL). announced that its Board of Directors authorized the company to repurchase up to $1 billion of its common stock over the next 24 months.
- DocuSign, Inc. (DOCU) announced that it intends to acquire Seal Software, a privately-held provider of artificial intelligence contract analytics, for $188 million in cash.
Stock of Week
Mimecast Limited (MIME)
Mimecast Limited (MIME) is a global provider of cloud-based cyber-attack protection applications for business email, which is the number-one threat to businesses regarding their computer-based data. The company's customers include Barracuda Networks, Alphabet, Microsoft and Symantec Corporation. According to Mimecast’s management, none of the company’s competitors offer the fully-unified and integrated email protection application that it provides.
|Composite Fundamental Rating||Product||Sales & EPS Growth (Qtrly)||Profit Margins||Financial Liquidity||Long-term Debt||Institution Buys to Sells|
Investors Monitor 20™
|Company Name||Ticker||Industry||Composite Rating||Investors Monitor Grade|
|Product||Sales & EPS Growth||Profit Margins||Financial Liquidity||Long-term Debt||Institution Buys to Sells|
|Alarm.Com Holdings||ALRM||Home Security||B-||A||B||C||A+||C||B|
|Applied Optoelectronics||AAOI||Fiber Optics||A-||A+||A+||B+||A+||A+||B+|
|Arista Networks||ANET||Network Apps||A+||A||A+||A||A+||A+||A|
|Control4 Corporation||CTRL||Home Devices||B-||A||C||C||A+||A+||A|
|Floor & Décor Holdings||FND||Home Flooring||B-||A||A+||C||B-||C-||B+|
|Malibu Boats||MBUU||Boat Mfg.||C+||A||C||B-||B-||C-||D|
|Masimo Corp||MASI||Medical Devices||A-||A||B||A||A+||A+||B|
|Momo Inc.||MOMO||Social Media||A+||A||A+||A+||A+||A+||D|
|Ollie's Bargain Outlet||OLLI||Discount Stores||B+||B+||A||B+||A+||A||C+|
|SolarEdge Technologies||SEDG||Solar Panels||A+||A||A||A||A+||A||A|
|The Trade Desk||TTD||Advertising||B+||A||A||C+||A+||A+||B|
|Weibo Corporation||WB||Social Media||A+||A||A+||A-||A+||A+||A|
|Winnebago Industries||WGO||RV Mfg.||C-||A||C||C||C+||D||C|